Time + Tide Chongwe River Camp
Chongwe River Camp, located on the confluence of the Chongwe and Zambezi Rivers in Zambia, has wonderful views of the Muchinga Mountains to the north. Across the Chongwe River is the Lower Zambezi National Park, a pristine wilderness with a wide variety of terrain. Children from seven years are welcome.
Accommodation & Facilities
Chongwe is a comfortable camp comprising nine safari tents with en-suite bathrooms and private shaded verandahs overlooking the river. The camp has a rustic bar and meals are served outside either on the banks of the Chongwe River, or in the bush overlooking the Zambezi River. For families, Chongwe River Camp has the Aldiba suite which comprises two en-suite deluxe rooms with a lounge/dining area and pool. The Aldiba suite sleeps two adults and up to three children (under 18 years) and if taken by a family of four or more, the suite comes with its own private vehicle and guide. Guests are welcome to join the main camp for meals and drinks – a stay here is about optional exclusivity. The pool is solar heated and shallow enough to be child friendly. It is however not protected for children, so supervision is required at all times. Neither Chongwe River Camp or the Aldiba Suite is fenced, so it is possible for wildlife to wander by, furthering the need for adult supervision.
Eating & Sleeping
The chefs are happy to prepare any foods that children enjoy (e.g. pizza, hamburgers, chicken strips, etc.) and will discuss children’s dietary preferences with parents on arrival. If there are any specific dietary requests please advise prior to travel. If the family has a private guide and vehicle, they have the flexibility to come back to camp early to accommodate the needs of the children. Should parents staying at the Aldiba Suite wish to dine in the main camp there is a listening/guard service where a member of staff or guard will sit on the veranda of the room, or inside if preferred, with radio and torch until parents come back from dinner.
Wildlife & Activities
Safari activities at Chongwe include day and night drives, guided bush walks, canoeing and boat trips. With ancient forests, a permanent river and open pans, the camp’s surroundings support a huge diversity and abundance of wildlife. There is especially good predator action, prolific leopard sightings and large herds of elephants, and guests are also likely to see buffalo, lion and leopard, hippo and crocodile, as well as kudu, waterbuck and impala. Birding is also good in this area, and the fishing in the Zambezi for tigerfish and bream is excellent.
Specifically for children…
There are several activities that are tailored for children including :
• Children over 12 years can accompany parents on bush walks. Younger children are taken on child orientated ‘poo’ walks where they can learn about all the fun and weird parts of nature.
• Sleepout under the stars – fall asleep under a canopy of a million twinkling stars, listening to the sounds of the night-time bush. A cosy tent, bush loo, culinary team and night watchman ensure that this experience is as comfortable as it is memorable. Bookable at an extra cost and minimum age 8 years, at the guide’s discretion.
• Visit to the nearby Chitende School, where kids can meet the Zambian children and learn about the local culture.
• Fishing – child sized life jackets and fishing equipment available.
• Canoeing safaris – drift peacefully past wildlife as it visits the banks to drink and gain a new perspective on the ecosystem. Minimum age 12 years, at the guide’s discretion.
• There is also a selection of board games for children to play during siesta time.