Family safaris in Botswana
Why we love Botswana for family safari holidays
Botswana is without doubt one of Africa’s finest safari destinations. It’s a land of stunning contrasts, from the verdant wetlands of the Okavango Delta to the sparkling desert scenery of the Makgadikgadi Pans. Wildlife abounds and with private concessions, low guest numbers and great flexibility for exploring by day and night, it’s an irresistible paradise for the ultimate family adventure.
Botswana’s family highlights
- Enjoy a private mobile camping safari planned around exactly what your family would like to see and do
- Spend time with friendly meerkats
- Explore with, and learn bush lore from, San Bushmen
- Choose to stay at one of a number of camps with specialist children’s guides and dedicated children’s activity programmes
- Fabulous family riding safaris possible for keen young equestrians
- Magnificent wildlife including lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, giraffe, cheetah and more
- The opportunity to explore by boat and mokoro (traditional dug out canoe) in the Okavango Delta
- Combines well with time in the Victoria Falls area
- Direct flights between Botswana and Cape Town makes a safari and city combination very easy
Family safaris Botswana: when is best?
Botswana is best for a family safari in:
- Easter school holidays
- June half term
- Summer holidays
- October half term
We also have families holidaying in Botswana during the Christmas and New Year school holiday, but you need to be aware that there may be some rain in the afternoons. It tends not to affect wildlife viewing greatly and the storms can be dramatic, but not everyone wants rain on holiday.