South Africa’s beautiful lodges
Often referred to as ‘a world in one country,’ South Africa has a wealth of spectacular, wildlife filled national parks, glorious beaches and sophisticated cities. Along with its natural wonders is an incredible choice of holiday accommodation – from spectacular hotels to simple tented camps. Here’s our selection of some of the finest of South Africa’s luxurious lodges.
1 Family fun – Leobo Lodge
- This extraordinary private safari house is super cool and one of those astonishing spots sure to keep you talking for years to come.
- Glorious accommodation aside, it’s equipped with a private vehicle and guide, helicopter, quad bikes, horses, an off-road buggy, mountain bikes, clay pigeon shooting, fishing tackle, and a telescope in the observatory.
2 Riding paradise – Ant’s Hill – The Ant Collection
- If riding in Africa is on your list (and even if you ride just a little bit, it should be) then The Ant Collection is a great place to start.
- Two lovely bush homes are set on a private 12,500 acre game reserve through which myriad game species roam.
3 Honeymoon heaven – Singita Lebombo
- The contemporary, super-stylish open plan suites at Singita Lebombo appear suspended above the N’Wanetsi River and give guests a front row seat to the wildlife goings on below.
- Excellent daily game drives into the Big 5 wilderness, romantic sundowners, stargazing and alfresco dining make this a wonderful honeymoon safari spot.
4 Kalahari seclusion – Tswalu Kalahari
- Fabulous scenery, gorgeous accommodation and friendly meerkats at this lovely exclusive private lodge on the edge of the Kalahari.
- Spot magnificent black maned Kalahari lion, sit with habituated meerkats and track elusive aardvark in glorious seclusion.
5 Malaria free – Madikwe Safari Lodge
- Malaria free Madikwe Game Reserve is one of South Africa’s biggest wildlife sanctuaries and has significant populations of elephant and rhino.
- Families should choose Lelapa lodge, four-room Kopana lodge is an intimate spot, while Dithaba lodge is great for a group of friends or an extended family party.
Get Your (Free) African Safari Insider Guide Now
Over 60 pages of invaluable advice and how-tos, written by our team of African Safari experts. Did we mention it’s free?
6 Tented comfort – Ngala Tented Camp
- Chic and contemporary tents, flickering lanterns, romantic riverbed dinners and glorious views.
- Big 5 private game reserve in Kruger.
7 Old style glamour – Tanda Tula Field Camp
- Tailored walking safari designed just for you, led by highly trained trackers and guides.
- The elegant camp oozes old world glamour with campaign style furnishings and simply equipped explorer tents.
8 Cape Town sophistication – Ellerman House
- Perched on the slopes of Lion’s Head and overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
- Relais & Chateaux style, the emphasis is on providing exceptional hospitality and cuisine.
9 Garden route glamour – Ecca Lodge – Kwandwe
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve – a Big 5 safari destination in 22,000 hectares of pristine private wilderness.
- 4 award winning lodges offering a range of accommodation for families, honeymooners and couples alike.
10 Classic Cape – Babylonstoren
- Winelands a destination in its own right.
- 17th century Cape Dutch farm converted to elegant guest accommodation.
- Gardens and a world-class restaurant.
If you’ve got this far and not found an answer to a question you have that we should have included, please ask in the comments section below, or pop us an email. We’ll be sure to reply and may amend the article to include our answer.
We would be delighted to help you plan a holiday, or answer any questions if you’re at an earlier stage. Our team of experts have travelled widely throughout Africa. They can offer expert advice on every type of safari from family and beach holidays to riding and primate safaris. If you would like to talk to someone who has been there and done it, please just send us an email or give us a call.