Top 10 Close Animal Encounters
Africa’s wildlife doesn’t always bite and there are a number of places where you can have encounters you would never have dreamed possible. If snuggling up to meerkat, tracking rhino, walking with elephant or chilling with chimps appeals let us know and we’ll give you some ideas for a really unforgettable safari experience. Here are some of our own ‘I can’t believe I did that’ moments:
- Getting tapped on the shoulder by a chimp who decided to ignore the 10m exclusion zone at Greystoke Mahale. Seals leaping over my kayak in the lagoon in Walvis Bay was pretty impressive too!
- Having meerkats use me as a lookout post in Botswana runs on a par with lemurs clambering all over me in Madagascar.
- Gorillas playing so close to me in Uganda. I’ll never forget that look of intelligent curiosity as they examined the group of humans who’d come to watch them.
- Being tickled by an elephants trunk at Abu Camp, where the resident herd made me feel like a welcome guest.
- Having giraffe take breakfast from my hands at Giraffe Manor, had me grinning from ear to ear the rest of the day.
- Making friends with meerkat on my recent trip to Botswana was every bit as fun as it sounds. They are so cute and it was a very entertaining morning.
- Cheetahs on the bonnet of our vehicle in the Masai Mara were quite incredible. They are truly stunning animals and it was magical to see them so close.
- Riding alongside plains game in the Masai Mara. A long held dream which way outlived expectations.